Sunday 9 November 2008

More Fish?

The Timer Higher Education supplement ran a feature on Stanley Fish the other day. Here he is speaking about what it is he does:

One of the essential glories of the academic world, in Fish's view, is that it "will tolerate 30 years of promise without delivery. It is more than tolerated, it is what is expected. What is required is that people work seriously on a set of problems. I have been writing about Paradise Lost for 45 years. When I change my mind or have a new insight, I write a new piece, and that is responded to by other people, but nobody has a time clock telling me 'Come on, get on with it, what's the answer? You can't just keep dithering about for 45 years.' I have been allowed to dither about for 45 years."
Let us hope that I will be allowed to dither for 45 years too.

No comments: